Autumn is ripe with rich colors and beautiful landscapes, bringing out the artists in all of us – including your kids! If you want something fun to do with your kids this fall, try out some of these fun family art projects.
Credit Card Art
Have a few expired credit cards lying around? You might be surprised at the beautiful artwork they can create. Here’s all you will need to get started:
- An artist’s canvas (any size)
- A variety of acrylic paints (any colors)
- A few paper plates
- A painting surface ( a plastic throw-away tablecloth will do)
This is an easy project for almost any age that looks great when finished, credit card art helps bring out the inner Picasso in almost anyone. Here’s how it works:
- Squirt a quarter-sized blob of each color paint on a paper plate
- Dip the edge of a credit card into the first color
- Simply swipe, scrape or dab the paint onto the canvas (in any direction)
- Move on to each subsequent color
- Watch as your child experiments with colors and strokes
- When finished, let dry
- Frame for a beautiful modern look
Yes, it really is that simple – and fun!
The Button Tree
This is a great project for any age child. The youngest of your family will love the tactile feel of this project, while older kids (and even some teens) will enjoy creating a unique fall design. So what do you need for this project?
- An artists’ canvas (any size)
- Brown acrylic paint
- Tacky Glue
- A variety of buttons (all sizes, shapes and colors)
Begin by drawing the outline of a tree using the brown paint. While the paint dries, ask your child (or children) to begin selecting buttons for the leaves. Once dried, you can begin adhering the buttons to the branches in any way you like. Smaller children may need help with the glue to keep things from getting messy, but older kids can handle this entire project on their own. Once the buttons adhere and the glue is dry, be sure to have your child’s masterpiece framed, and then hang it in your home.
Sun Catcher Magic
Who doesn’t love the way the light streams through a sun catcher? Try this unique version for a great framing project that can be displayed all fall long. Here's what you'll need:
- An opaque milk jug
- Sharpie Markers in a variety of colors
- Hole punch
- A Small branch
- Black acrylic paint
- Small paintbrush
Depending on the ages of your children, you may have to lend a hand with this project. Here's how it works:
- Begin by drawing a variety of leaf shapes in different sizes on the milk jug
- Cut out the leaf shapes
- Have children color in the shapes using the colored markers
- Outline the shape using the black paint
- Once dried, punch a hole in the top of the leaf and string some yarn through it
- Tie to the branch
- Hang your unique creation in your home
A simple, yet beautiful design, creating artwork beautiful enough for framing is easy with a few different sized hole punches and a variety of fall colored papers. Kids of all ages will love punching the circles (or other designs) from the paper and using them to create a unique piece of art by gluing the shapes onto a piece of cardboard or canvas and then having it framed to create a showstopper piece of art for your home.
Showcasing Your Kids Fun Fall Art Projects
Kids love to make crafts – and they love having it displayed even more! Why not gather up some of your favorites (like the art projects described above), and take them to DeSola Glass, Art & Frame Gallery and let our experts frame them in a way that makes your kid's artwork shine.
Forget the refrigerator – your kid's art deserves a more prominent place on your walls. Let us help turn those simple crafts into beautiful works of art. Stop by today to see what we can do to showcase your kids best pieces of art.